Woodiepedia CCI Trading University Forum Index Woodiepedia CCI Trading University
Woodies CCI Club Bulletin Board & Encyclopedia

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Share a single mouse and keyboard between multiple computers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Woodiepedia CCI Trading University Forum Index -> Hardware/Software Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcboone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Share a single mouse and keyboard between multiple computers Reply with quote

I have been using Synergy for years now and it has proved to be a very useful software tool. Allowing my networked trading office computers and laptops to be controlled from one keyboard and mouse. This has allowed me to make use of the older systems for holding extra hard drives, running the chat room, skype and email. This will free up the main systems for trading and charting, and gives life to those older systems we collect over time. Each system needs to be connected to the network and have the software installed and configured. The install is easy and the configuration is very logical.

The alternative to this is a KVM switch that nearly doubles the amount of cables and wires, and if your setup is like mine, there are already to many cables. If you have multiple computers on your desk, I encourage you to give synergy a try. You will wonder how you ever managed without it.

nonesynergy2.sourceforge.net/

Synergy lets you easily share a single mouse and keyboard between multiple computers with different operating systems, each with its own display, without special hardware. It's intended for users with multiple computers on their desk since each system uses its own monitor(s).

Redirecting the mouse and keyboard is as simple as moving the mouse off the edge of your screen. Synergy also merges the clipboards of all the systems into one, allowing cut-and-paste between systems. Furthermore, it synchronizes screen savers so they all start and stop together and, if screen locking is enabled, only one screen requires a password to unlock them all

This is free open source software using the GNU General Public License

[b:a75eae3603]There are a variety of types of downloads to choose from for most with windows it would be best to use the SynergyInstaller-1.3.1.exe See download below[/b:a75eae3603]
noneprdownloads.sourceforge.net/synergy2/SynergyInstaller-1.3.1.exe?download

[i:a75eae3603]Note: When using a computer for the execution platform it is important to have access to a keyboard and mouse connected directly to that system as a backup, in the event network connection is dropped.
[/i:a75eae3603]

Read what some others have to say about this software
nonedigg.com/software/Synergy_One_Keyboard_Mouse_Many_Computers

Installation

Synergy lets you use one keyboard and mouse across multiple computers. To do so it requires that all the computers are connected to each other via TCP/IP networking. Most systems come with this installed.

1 - Choose a server

The first step is to pick which keyboard and mouse you want to share. The computer with that keyboard and mouse is called the "primary screen" and it runs the synergy server. All of the other computers are "secondary screens" and run the synergy client.

2 - Install the software

Second, you install the software. Choose the appropriate package and install it. For example, on Windows you would run SynergyInstaller. You must install the software on all the computers that will share the mouse and keyboard (clients and server). On OS X you'll just have a folder with some documentation and two programs. You can put this folder anywhere.

3 - Configure and start the server

Next you configure the server. You'll tell synergy the name of the primary and secondary screens, which screens are next to which, and choose desired options. On Windows there's a dialog box for setting the configuration. On other systems you'll create a simple text file.

Note that when you tell synergy that screen A is to the left of screen B this does not imply that B is to the right of A. You must explicitly indicate both relations. If you don't do both then when you're running synergy you'll find you're unable to leave one of the screens.

Windows
On Windows run synergy by double clicking on the synergy file. This brings up a dialog. Configure the server:

* Click the Share this computer's keyboard and mouse (server) radio button

* Click the Screens & Links Configure... button

* Click the + button to add the server to the Screens list

* Enter the name of server (the computer's name is the recommended name)

* Optionally enter other names the server is known by

* Click OK

* Use the + button to add your other computers

* Using a computer's name as its screen name is recommended

* Choose desired screen options on the Add Screen dialog

* Use the controls under Links to link screens together

* Click (once) on the server's name in the Screens list

*Choose the screen to the left of the server; use --- if there is no screen to the left of the server

* Choose the screens to the right, above and below the server

*Repeat the above steps for all the other screens

* Click OK to close the Screens & Links dialog

* Use Options... to set desired options

* If the server's screen name is not the server's computer name:

* Click Advanced...

*Enter the server's screen name next to Screen Name

* Click OK

Now click Test. The server will start and you'll see a console window with log messages telling you about synergy's progress. If an error occurs you'll get one or more dialog boxes telling you what the errors are; read the errors to determine the problem then correct them and try Test again.[b:a75eae3603][/b:a75eae3603]

[size=18:a75eae3603]
[b:a75eae3603]To make it more convenient the Synergy installer can be downloaded here[/b:a75eae3603][/size:a75eae3603]

Last edited by tcboone on Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:16 am; edited 4 times in total
xbeam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use and like synergy. I also found a commercial product that takes the idea and goes one further, or two further.
nonewww.maxivista.com/

Lets you share mouse/keyboard and even screen amongst computers. It's not cross-platform, but on a windows machine, it lets you extend your desktop across multiple computers, or simply share one mouse across multiple systems. Might be worth a quick look.
zoltran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: zsz Reply with quote

Very Cool!

Thanks for posting this information gents !! :P
rmac2001

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Agree Reply with quote

I finally decided to try this again- previously I was in too much of a hurry to figure it out (its not an instant one click/one computer thing). Also it gives you a need to read and comprehend the instructions.
Anyway I got it going with 2 computers that were on the same router.
Still, since they had not been networked it took 20 minutes for the computers to find each other. So I got network magic free trial and now they find each other almost instantly. What a great program!
rambler aka rmac2001
pauli

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: ER: synergy Reply with quote

I am using synergy on my trading PCs for one year now.

I can recommend it.

It took me a while to set it up in the right way (firewall and pc names). But since then it works perfectly.

:wink:
rmac2001

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Over the Hump Reply with quote

Synergy - Over the Technical Hump :

Wouldn't it be nice to run multiple computers from one keyboard and mouse without a keyboard switch? Especially if you could copy from one and paste to the other?

As an example, if you have 2 computers and 2 monitors on each computer, the mouse cursor and keyboard will cover all 4 monitors.

Synergy gives you all that capability.

A time saving note: This Information applys to Windows XP and is taken from a 'classic' display, also Synergy will not work if the main computer is being run on a secondary hard drive, even if you set up everything properly (on networked Windows XP Pro systems - per my experience).

Synergy and its onfiguration can seem a bit tedious to some - especially to the non-tech user - but think of all the convenience later.

For windows XP systems that aren't yet networked download and use the free version of Network Magic (You can do an internet search for it).

Then download and run Synergy Installer 1.3.1 from 'latest ' on the left side of nonesynergy2.sourceforge.net/

Many of the instructions and downloads on this site are for programmers so if you dont understand something just ignore it.

Read 'Using Synergy' which is found on the left hand of the Synergy page nonesynergy2.sourceforge.net/

Now you will need to know what your computer name is for your main and also your secondary computer. Go to Start/ control panel/ system/ computername. When called for, I use the discription as an 'alias' and the full computer name as the 'name'.

Once the Synergy dialog box displays on your main computer click to fill the 'radio' button for 'Share this keyboard .....'.

Click the 'configure' button for the 'screens and links' window then the plus sign by the upper 'screens' section. In the 'add screen' window type the computer name of the main computer. Alias is optional but helpful.
Click 'ok' then click plus again to add the name of your secondary computer. (later you may want to add a third). Click 'ok' .

Now for the 'links'. ( Do not do like I did and try to compare what shows up when you complete the task with the actual task hoping to understand the task in that way - it will only confuse you).
See where it says 0 to 100 % of the ____ side of _____
First choose where you want the mouse cursor to leave your main monitor on its way to your second computers monitor : left, right , top or bottom. Choose it from the drop-down menu to fill the first blank.
Now choose the name of your main computer from the drop-down menu to fill the second blank.
The final blank is filled by the final drop-down menu where you choose the name of your secondary computer.

Now comes the part where every one makes a mistake and causes a failure.
DO NOT Click the 'OK' Button Yet !!!!!!!! First click the Plus button which is at the lower left and is no longer greyed out. Now click 'ok'. The link will appear in the lower section.

Now do the 0 to 100 % of the ____ side of _____ filling the blanks with the opposite information that you used before (example right instead of left and secondary name instead of main name) all the way through.
Again click the Plus button and then 'ok'

Now go to your second computer and get the dialog going as above and click to fill the 'radio' button for 'Use Another ........' and put main computers name in the window.

After that you can use the test button and the start button. When things are working you can use the autostart button for full convenience - Enjoy. Rambler aka rmac2001

Last edited by rmac2001 on Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total
pauli

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

always good to support open source projects !
buscador

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After much unhooking, re-hooking, retrying and error messages, puffing and blowing, my computers decided to cooperate and connected as they should.
Synergy is an amazing product, for this now EX-user of a KVM Switch, akin to driving an automatic transmission after standard.

Thank you pauli for suggesting the use of Synergy and rmac2001 for your detailed post. I think I'm gonna like it!!!

Have a great weekend

Buscador a.k.a Javier
BBzDan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I tried both Synergy and MaxiVista and found out that MaxiVista has more capabilities than Synergy, and it is more suitable to my needs.

The big differences are:
* Synergy is free, MaxiVista Pro is about US$50.00 one time fee.
* MaxiVista allows you to extend the screen from the monitor(s) of the primary (server) computer on the monitor(s) of the secondary computer(s), not only to use one keyboard and one mouse for both, like Synergy does.

Thus, you can open numerous graphs and info simultaneously on the primary computers and spread them out among all the other monitors. This is particularly important when a trading platform (like IB I use) allows you to run only one instance of the software. Thus, you cannot run it simulataneously on 2 computers.

If you have some old computers, I find this a good solution, rather than upgrading your primary computer to support 2 video cards, each with 2 outputs, and even then you are limites to only 4 monitors.

The $50 fee was quite worth it for me.
Dan
rmac2001

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Easier way to install Synergy Reply with quote

A synergy for dummies has been developed. I havent tried it on the primary yet (because I'm busy learning vista) but it worked on getting my new vista setup connected to an xp primary computer . You still have to download and install the latest release/synergyinstaller 1.3.1.exe and I had to have the one below it (the set of files for 1.3.1) on my computer also. See nonewww.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/07/24/easily-configure-synergy-with-xhirl-synergy-wizard/

rambler aka rmac2001
rmac2001

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: free version of maxivista Reply with quote

free version of maxivista nonedownload.cnet.com/MaxiVista-SE/3000-2346_4-10571177.html
rmac2001

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: New url Reply with quote

new url nonesynergy-foss.org/
JoseyWales

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Getting Synergy to work Reply with quote

I finally buckled down and decided to clean off my desk top. I found that for Synergy to work with the XhirlSynergy App you need to use Synergy version 1.3.6. Which is found on nonesynrgy-foss.org/download
get the easy setup app from nonexhirl.dcmembers.com/xhirlsynergywizard/XhirlSynergyWizard_17Jun06.zip
All of my Systems are XP so I don't know how it will work on Vista or Windows 7.
But one KB and one mouse between 3 PC's is nice.

Good luck.

PS: I cut and pasted the URL off of a different PC to post in this message. I think I'm gon to like this.
lockycol

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buckled down, too.
I don't know how, but it works with my Windows 7 Ultimate & Windows XP computers.

It seems important to have the correct .sgc and .sgs "Configuration file:" locations on the first , sign-on pop-up: "Synergy";
and also on the Edit/Settings "Settings" pop-up under "Programs" (here I had to find the relevant "Client:" or "Server:" file location - the inoperative one's location I have as bin/...

Then uncheck "Auto detect program paths" and under "Start", check "Automatically start server or client when GUI starts".

My "Logging" level is "Note", but "Log to file:" is unchecked.

Once, after doing maintenance on the server computer, Synergy stopped working.
Using Synergy's "Help/About Synergy.." I noticed that the "IP-Address:" had somehow changed from 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.7, so I had to change the "Name of the server:" to 10.0.0.7 on each of the client computers. FWIW
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Woodiepedia CCI Trading University Forum Index -> Hardware/Software Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: